Friday, March 20, 2009

For love and money: An elusive goal for this job-hunter

By DAVID FAUCHEAUX

To those of you who have been following my blog over the past several years, I regret that the postings have become slim. I no longer have access to the audio method I used in the past. I feel that losing audio negatively impacts this blog.

When last I posted, December 21, 2008, I was recovering from a bad fall. I am about 88%-92% recovered. I still have the occasional trying day.

I have not yet decided exactly in which direction my life will now go. I am in a different apartment.

I'd like to close with the following thoughts. Have any of you ever just wished you could determine one thing? To know what one thing you are so good at that you can make a good living doing it. The one thing that lets you find your niche somewhere, that let's you feel unique, that lets you know, this is what I do. It might be being a good singer, a back-up singer even, but a good one; or it might be a highly efficient medical tech, or maybe a commercial writer, or a fragrance designer, or fish chef, or a tutor.

You're actually like doing the thing and it takes care of you. It is not a 9-to-5 grind. I think of the book, Do What You Love and the Money Will Come, and keep hoping. If I have ever found this mysterious niche, I have not gotten it to develop into a job.

I do, at times, wonder what it must be like to be good at something in the way Tiger Woods, Anne Easter Smith, Bobby Jindal, and Josh Groban are. Otherwise, one can feel adrift or even lost.

IMAGINE That!